Suffering from Neck Pain?
Almost everyone has experienced neck pain once in their lives. Whether it's from an exercise strain or a kink after a long day at work, neck pain is quite common. Lasting neck pain often makes even the simplest movements incredibly painful. This pain often leads to headaches that decrease your quality of life. Neck pain often causes its victims to avoid using the muscles in their neck resulting in muscle degeneration over time, further exacerbating the problem.
Discovering the source of neck pain is essential to receiving proper treatment. Our Palm Coast, Daytona Beach, and Orange City chiropractor has helped neck pain many times. This article explains the causes of neck pain and demonstrates how chiropractic care at Coastal Healthcare Partners is able to provide long lasting relief.
Neck Pain Treatment
The neck is not the largest part of the body but it is one of the most important. It is the bridge between the head and body and needs to hold the head in proper alignment. Vertebrae in the neck are quite small and allow for mobility. However, they lack in strength which can give way to injuries and pain. There are numerous causes for neck pain but these are some of the most common:
- Trauma, such as whiplash
- Awkward Sleeping position
- Poor posture
- Repetitive stress
- Abnormalities in the bone structure
- Joint issues
- Muscle strains and pulls
Most neck pain arises from, or has an impact on, the alignment of the spine. Muscles often spasm during times of neck pain which pulls on the spine causing pain and further misalignment. When the spine is tampered with, the nerves in the spinal cord are irritated which impacts the rest of the body. Neck pain can be dangerous for this reason, causing problems in other essential systems throughout the body.
People often ignore neck pain and believe it will go away without consequence eventually. Sometimes the pain does go away but the lingering effects on the spine can cause problems in the future. Over time, without treatment, the pain can become recurring with certain movements becoming almost impossible. In extreme cases, patients have waited so long that they need surgery to fix the problem.
Neck Pain FAQs
A number of factors can lead to neck pain. For many patients who seek chiropractic care, neck pain results from whiplash, a painful condition that occurs when the head and neck are violently “whipped” back and forth as the result of an impact, usually from a car accident.
Other common causes of neck pain include:
- Posture-related issues: constant hunching over or leaning forward while working at a computer
- Medical conditions: fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, tension headaches, TMJ
- Disc degeneration: herniated or bulging discs in the spinal column
If you have chronic neck pain, stress and nutritional factors can also worsen your symptoms.
Neck pain can manifest in several ways. The pain may take on different qualities over time, or it can depend on your level of activity or stress.
Common symptoms of a neck condition include:
- Stiff neck
- General aching or soreness
- Pain that radiates down the shoulder or arm
- Weakness, numbness, or loss of sensation
Neck pain might also occur with the inability to rotate your neck equally on both sides as well as forward and backward.
Sometimes neck pain resolves on its own. However, there are certain circumstances when you should seek medical attention. Contact Coastal Healthcare Partners right away if you’re experiencing:
- Pain following a car accident, injury, or trauma
- Pain that radiates down your arm or leg
- Numbness, tingling, or weakness in the affected area
- Pain accompanied by headaches
With a comprehensive evaluation, Dr. Osborne can easily diagnose your neck pain and begin your treatment plan immediately.
Dr. Osborne and his team use a variety of methods to treat whiplash or other causes of neck pain. Your care might include:
- Chiropractic adjustments: spinal correction utilizing gentle chiropractic techniques, as well as using low force instrumental techniques.
- Therapeutic Modalities: Assortment of therapeutic modalities such as laser, ultrasound, muscle stimulation are used to promote healing and a rapid recovery.
- Corrective exercises: special "blueprint" exercises to help strengthen and correct your problem; can be performed in the comfort of your own home and can improve the effectiveness of your spinal correction.
- Lifestyle advice: individualized lifestyle coaching to help you understand how to cope with your particular health challenge
- Nutritional counseling: specific recommendations on nutritional supplements and healthy food choices to enhance your return to optimal health.
Conventional vs. Holistic Treatments
In today's society, people with neck pain often rely on medication from a local pharmacy. These medications will sometimes relieve the symptoms or pain but will not heal the underlying issue. Massage therapy is another popular method, but this solution only relaxes the muscles that are in the neck which, in a majority of cases, are not the source of the pain.
Chiropractic care aims to fix the issue at the root of the problem, so that you can live without restrictions. By having a chiropractic exam, the source of the pain can be discovered and options are discussed for relief. After even a gentle adjustment, instantaneous relief can sometimes be found. Chiropractic often provides long term relief and heals the body. Call Coastal Healthcare Partners today if you or a loved one is experiencing neck pain in order to set up a consultation and relieve the pain holding you back.